Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wild Rice Creation Story

I found a lovely film about the sacred food of the Anishinabe in Minnesota: the wild, long grain rice.



It's interesting the language that the seed companies have already implanted into our society: that they would be creating "genetically superior" rice. It astounds me that anyone, thinking about it deeply, could ever imagine that something artificially altered could be genetically 'superior' to something that has lived on earth and responded to natural conditions, altering itself and adapting, for millenia. How could that be? The Anishinabe narrator tells the story using the language that we have all begun to absorb: a concept of 'genetic superiority' that was supposed to have died with Hitler.

It was just something that stuck out and shouted at me when I watched the film. I don't want to learn the Monsantan language, thank you, because it plants in my consciousness unhealthy and altered words that have nothing to do with the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment